Chatham Carriage House Inn – About the Inn
The Chatham Carriage House Inn is a classic New England Sea Captain’s Home built in 1850 for Captain Isaac Howe Loveland and his lovely young bride, Elizabeth Kent. Our inn is recognized as historic accommodations by American Historic Inns and is an ideal choice for a romantic extended getaway.
The house was built by Captain Loveland’s father, Captain Timothy Loveland, using lumber shipped in by Schooner to the Cow Yard Town Landing, which our guests can easily stroll to and enjoy the sand and ocean view amongst the beautiful shorefront mansions.
According to the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the main Inn building — a two-story Greek Revival Colonial with ell and stables located in the Old Harbor area of Chatham Village just off Shore Road– was first owned by Captain Loveland. His wife Elizabeth was sister to Captain Myrick Kent. Loveland was born in 1817 and was one of Chatham’s most notable citizens. His father Timothy Sr. and brother Timothy Jr., both Chatham Sea Captains, lived on adjacent properties still standing on Old Harbor Road. There is a large bronze plaque and memorial stone in his honor at the entrance to the Chatham Community Center on Main Street, thanking him for his generous gifts to the Town of Chatham. Captain Loveland made his fortune fishing out of the Old Harbor in North Chatham, engaging in very profitable weir fishing with the first Chatham weir fishing grant, and running the main shipping wharf on Monomoy Island at Whitewash Village until the Hurricane of 1861.
After retiring from the Sea, Captain Loveland became a Director and the President of the Cape Cod National Bank. Captain Isaac Loveland owned many famous buildings on Main Street–including what are now The Chatham Candy Manor, The Lilly Pulitzer Store and the former Hearle Gallery.
The main house has recently been totally updated for the ultimate in guest comfort including a refurbished large sun deck and outdoor breakfast patio, but it still retains colonial moldings, original porch and columns, original doors and windows, impressive 1850 fireplace hearth, beautiful freshly restored 1850 wood floors, and many Greek Revival finishing touches throughout. Your Innkeepers have enhanced the Captain’s home with many stunning New England antiques and regional Folk Art of Captain Loveland’s era.
The separate Carriage House at the Inn was originally built as stables in the late 1800’s and was converted to three large King Guest Rooms in 1988 to provide very popular large, bright guest rooms each with ensuite bathrooms, cozy gas fireplaces and private outdoor seating and your own secluded garden. All these rooms were freshly updated in 2020 with luxury king beds, new designer wool rugs, new cherry flooring, private luxury bathrooms, private sitting gardens and all new furnishings. The exterior of the Stables has remained much as it was in the 1890s.
Today, Captain Loveland’s Homestead provides our Inn guests with an exceptional, relaxing and personalized stay in a classic New England Seafaring Village with a rare historic setting you won’t find in typical hotels and larger inns.